Seven leading Israeli telecom companies (ECI Telecom, Finisar Corporation Israeli subsidiary, Orckit-Corrigent, Elisra-Elbit, MultiPhy, Optiway, Civcom) and five Israeli universities (the Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Ben-Gurion University, the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Bar-Ilan University, and Tel-Aviv University) have formed the Tera Santa Consortium. The new organization will coordinate efforts to develop the world’s first Terabit Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM)-based optical network.
Research topics will include:
- High-speed design using high order Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM) constellations
- Overcoming optical impairments over long distances
- Maximizing system spectral efficiency
- Novel DSP architectures and algorithmic design
- Cost-effective and compact analog and optical components design
- Design of photonic integrated circuits as component-level platforms for the sub-system layer